In the blog post that I'd submitted here- http://indiefunda.com/2011/06/the-loced-out-attitude/ I'd given a brief description of what exactly iz defined by the " independent culture " of having the Loced-Out Attitude. Refreshingly, the Loced-Out Attitude iz characteristic of having these 5 traitz:
- The world iz full of fascinating problemz waiting to be solved
- No problem should ever have to be solved twice
- Boredom and drudgery are evil
- Freedom iz good
- Attitude iz no substitute for competence
- The world iz full of fascinating problemz waiting to be solved- Understand: Being a Loc isn't eazy at all, but it'z fun. However, it'z a kind of fun that takez a lot of effort, mainly, because az I've mentioned before, Locz are Independent!! ( the term Loc and the term Independent az it'z been previously defined on thiz site are interchangable termz.) The effort in itself alone takez motivation. Just az successful athletes get their motivation from a kind of physical delight in making their bodies perform, in pushing themselves past their own physical limits. Similarly, to be a Loc you have to get a basic thrill from solving problems, sharpening your skillz, and exercising your intelligence. ( Locz are creative thinkerz by nature. ) If you aren't the kind of person that feelz thiz way naturally you'll need to become one in order to make it az an independent. Otherwise you'll find your Loced-Out energy iz sapped by distractionz like sex/porn, the allure of obtaining fast cash, and social approval/social-networking approval on time jacking social-networking sitez, i.e. Facebook ...when you could and should be studying and acquiring the necessary skillz and connectionz to BUILD YOUR OWN FACEBOOK!!
- No problem should ever have to be solved twice- Creative brainz are a valuable, limited resource. They shouldn't be wasted on re-inventing Facebook, Myspace, and Twitter when there are so many fascinating new problemz (like building better platformz and communitiez ) waiting out there. To behave like a Loc, you have to believe that the thinking time of other independentz iz preciouz-so much so that it'z almost a moral duty for you to share information, solve problemsz and then give the solutionz away justs so other Locz can solve " new " problemz instead of having to perpetually re-addrezz old onez. Note, however, that " no problem should ever have to be solved twice. " doez not imply that you have to consider all existing solutionz sacred, or that there iz only one right solution to any given problem. Often, we learn a lot about the problem that we didn't know before by studying the first cut at a solution. It'z OK, and often necessary, to decide that we can do better. What's not OK iz " hoarding knowledge ", which preventz a good solution from being re-used and " forces " people to re-invent wheelz. ( You don't have to believe that you're obligated to give all of your ideaz, connectz, and productz away, though the independentz that do are the onez that get most respect from other Locz and independentz. It'z consistent with the valuez of an independent to sell enough of it to keep you in living expenses and with the toolz to continue to create and expound on new ideaz. It'z fine to use your skillz az an independent to support a family or even to get rich , az long az you don't forget your loyalty to your art and your culture of fellow independents and Locz while doing it.)